Pedodontics & Preventive dentistry
Department of Pedodontics and Preventive dentistry
The Department of Pedodontics and Preventive dentistry encompasses disciplines such as behaviour guidance, care of the medically and developmentally compromised and disabled patient, supervision of orofacial growth and development, caries prevention, sedation or oral rehabilitation under general anaesthesia, and hospital dentistry modified and adapted to the special needs of infants, children, adolescents, and those with special health care needs.
The Department also treats habitual problems and developing malocclusions. UG and PG students are exposed to the dental issues faced by children and adolescents and get an opportunity to educate them and provide preventive treatment.The Department also regularly conducts camps and clinics in schools and rural areas.
Future Plans include department collaboration with pediatric specialty to manage children with special health care needs, international collaboration and exchange. Programmes for students and staff, digitalized department library and faculty student exchange programme at national & International level.
Goals and Objectives:
- To facilitate learning and help the student gain sufficient knowledge on the development of child, dental diseases so that the student gains sound foundation to understand the common dental diseases and institute most appropriate treatment.
- By combining traditional teaching techniques with innovative teaching method, and promoting student centered learning.
- Imparting thorough knowledge and skill in evaluating clinical findings, and institute proper treatment.
- All our efforts are channelized in creating clinicians who could be an asset to the society in the field of pediatric dentistry.
- We instill a positive dental attitude in children through effective behavior guidance and provide best quality treatment
- RESTORATIVE PROCEDURES AND CROWNS: It encompasses restoration of cavities by materials like glass ionomer cements or composites. Stainless steel crowns are also used.
- ENDODONTIC PROCEDURES: It encompasses procedures like pulpotomy, pulpectomy, apexification or regenerative endodontics.
- SPACE MAINTAINERS: These appliances need to be placed if primary teeth exfoliate or need to be extracted before the normal age of exfoliation. They prevent space loss due to teeth movement into the edentulous space.
- REMOVABLE ORTHODONTIC APPLIANCES: Minor tooth malpositions may be corrected using these.
- ORAL HYGIENE INSTRUCTIONS FOR CHILDREN AND PARENTS: Parents and children are counseled about the importance of maintaining oral hygiene, in order to prevent the formation of plaque, caries or calculus on teeth.
- ORAL PROPHYLAXIS: Oral prophylaxis may be done manually or using ultra-sonic scalers to remove calculus or stains.
- RAHABILITATION PROCEDURED FOR CHILDREN WITH CLEFT LIP/PALATE: Children born with deformities like cleft lip/palate often face difficulties in eating or drinking due to the absence of an adequate lip seal or the presence of an oro-nasal fistula. In such children, an obturator temporarily closes the oro-nasal fistula and enables the child to eat or drink comfortably. The defect can later be closed using a surgical approach. In children without teeth, a feeding plate can be constructed to enable feeding.
- TOPICAL FLUORIDE APPLICATION: Fluoride application on teeth makes them more resistant to bacterial attack, thus reducing the occurrence of caries. They are effective both on primary as well as permanent teeth.
- EXTRACTION OF TEETH: Extraction of primary teeth are performed under local anaesthetic methods.
- PATIENTS WITH SPECIAL NEEDS: The Department provides special care and treatment for those with special needs.
- A fully developed U.G. and P.G. section with 20 fully electronic dental chairs
- A separate sterilization room and conscious sedation room.
- A spacious play-area for the children and jungle theme based colourful department.
- Well-equipped laboratories, separately furnished for the U.G. and P.G. students
- Independent, customised clinical compartments for all the P.G. students.
- Well-equipped departmental library .
- Advanced equipment’s comprising of 1 RVG unit, conscious sedation unit, intra-oral camera, pressure moulding machine, hydrosolder, welder with soldering attachments, rubber dam kit, pulp tester,Stainless Steel, polycarbonate, strip and zirconia crown kit, rotary endomotor, amalgamator and apex locators.
- A seminar room for clinical case presentations, seminars and journal clubs.
Dr. Prashant Bondarde
Professor & HOD
Dr. Sudha Patil
Dr. Mujawar Shoeb
Dr. Aruna Vishwakarma
Dr. Jain Nisha
Dr. Munot Harsha
Dr. Bansal Sandesh
Dr. Wagh Dhiraj
Dr. Parakh Priyanka
Dr. Neha Dhariwal